The THRIVE grant program is designed to provide seed funding to investigators for the testing of initial hypotheses and collecting of preliminary data to help secure long-term funding by the National Institutes of Health and/or other major granting institutions.
Principal investigator(s) must hold an M.D., Ph.D., D.V.M., or equivalent degree. Candidates for these degrees along with their Principal Investigator may apply. All candidates must have an accredited faculty, medical institution, or other research institute appointment and have the ability to conduct independent research with publications in established peer-reviewed medical and scientific journals. Awardees must be located in North America (future program years will expand internationally). Awardees must be willing to participate in the annual HESI THRIVE research forum – an opportunity to share results and build a network of experts.
Funding is available in the range of US$20,000 to US$50,000 for up to 24 months of direct costs. Information and Timelines for the 2019 Application Process to follow.
- Funding awards will not exceed US$50,000 per awardee with most awards in the $20,000-$40,000 range. Awards will provide for up to 24 months of total direct costs only.
- Submissions must include a proposed timeline for initiation and completion of the experimental work. All experimental work is to be completed within a maximum of 24 months.
- Awardees will be required to provide a written study update at the 12 month mark and at completion of the study.
- Upon receipt of a signed notification and agreement to THRIVE award terms (including IRB or IACUC approval) THRIVE will disburse 75% of the funds. The remaining 25% of the award is provided upon completion of the study milestones. Exceptions may be made.
- If funding permits, awardees may also receive additional travel funds to support their participation in the HESI THRIVE annual research meeting and networking event.
THRIVE requires a letter of intent in advance of the grant application. Information and Timelines for the 2019 Application Process to follow. Only investigators who have submitted a letter of intent and have been invited to submit a formal grant application will be considered for THRIVE funding. All letters of intent and grant submissions are to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please refer to the below downloadable documents for more information on the application process and required documents:
Grant award decisions are made through a careful and detailed peer-review selection process led by the THRIVE grant review advisory board. The proposed study’s scientific merit, innovation, and ability to translate from preclinical to clinical research (or vice versa) is key to being selected for funding. Preference will be given to studies in which both a non-clinical and clinical researcher are engaged in either design, conduct, or analysis of the study results. Details about the grant review process can be obtained by downloading THRIVE’s Grant Requirements & Guidelines document.